Thursday, March 8, 2012

Energy saving compact flourscent light(CFL) 'contain cancer causing chemicals'
Mercury Poisoning

The mercury is safely contained inside the glass tube of the light. However, if the light bulb is broken, the mercury vapors can leak out. The mercury can come into contact with one's skin or be breathed in, which can cause potential mercury poisoning in high amounts. The mercury can also become exposed to bedding, clothing and carpeting, where it can remain embedded.

If a bulb breaks in your home you should open the windows to air out the room. Use duct tape to pick up the pieces of the glass and mercury residue off the floors and carpets. Dispose of any bedding or clothing that comes into direct contact with the glass. Do not directly touch the glass or affected areas. Double-bag the fragments in plastic and remove them from the home.